GC Resolve's President Graham Christensen has been working to stop the Keystone XL Pipeline since the beginning of the debate. GC Resolve continues to be involved in the effort to stop KXL for the below primary reasons:
- Tar sands oil is the dirtiest form of oil in the world and mining tar sands significantly increases atmospheric CO2.
- The KXL pipeline threatens the Ogallala Aquifer, the largest freshwater resource in the North American continent and the lifeblood of Nebraskans.
- Carcinogenic chemicals from tar sands mining seeps into Athabasca region rivers and streams, ruining water for Indigenous people, as well as harming fish and wildlife.
- The KXL pipeline tramples the private property rights of Nebraska farmers and ranchers by allowing Transcanada to use Eminent Domain to cease land for corporate profit, not the public good.
- The KXL pipeline is a national security risk as it primarily profits foreign corporations exporting to foreign nations, while communities on the route are left with the greatest risk.
- The KXL pipeline reduces local property tax collections, thus shifting that tax burden to Nebraskans.
Here is how you get involved at this time: