Since as far back as I can remember, my family and I have been heavily involved in three things: Agriculture, Energy and Public Service. My dad once told me that, as farmers, if we didn’t weigh in on the things that we believed in, somebody would be sure to weigh in for us, and that we most likely wouldn’t appreciate the outcome. It was instilled in our family from an early age that we must be the change we wished to see.
This conversation I never forgot, and as you can see from my past experiences those words have heavily influenced my life journey.
· 2017 marks the 150th anniversary of the Christensen family farm in which I have been involved with my entire life. On the farm we grow corn and soybeans, including non-GMO varieties. We have implemented conservation techniques to save water and build soil organic matter, started to grow fruit trees and shrubs, and have added solar panels to help lower electricity costs in the future.
· Along with 21 other Burt County farm families, I am President of Burt County Wind, LLC . This is an effort to develop our wind resource in a way that better fits our community while creating new local revenues.
· While at Nebraska Farmers Union, I helped educate and organize farmers and ranchers on over 1.1 million acres of rural Nebraska land in order to develop new markets by implementing ag practices scientifically proven to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Programs like this hold much promise for the future of rural America. Currently I serve as the State Secretary, and also sit on the Board of Directors representing the eastern part of the state.
· Power Lincoln Locally was a large coalition of Lincoln area residents and groups that worked together to organize an effort to educate city leaders and mobilize the grassroots to develop a utility-scale solar energy project. Through good teamwork and honest conversation we now have five megawatts of solar energy in our Capitol City!
· With the help of many other good folks, I have helped lead several other successful educational and organizing projects with landowners, farmers and ranchers in partnership with law firms, foundations and partnering non-profit organizations.
· Participating in Democracy is vital to moving our community, state, and nation forward. I have been involved in both federal and state policy issues with a focus on agricultural and energy. This includes lobbying state and federal leaders both in the Unicameral and in the Nation’s Capitol.
WANT MORE INFORMATION ON SOLAR?
CHECK OUT THE AREA'S GREENEST DEVELOPMENT COMPANY!